Friday, June 25, 2010

The Talisman

"When I'm having a dream, the only time I really know it's a dream is when I'm starting to wake up.  If I'm dreaming and just wake up all at once, if the alarm clock goes off or something, then I'm the most surprised guy alive.  At first. it's the waking that seems like a dream..."

------------------------------------------------------

There are serious echoes from the Dark Tower series in this book.  The protagonist, Jack, is an alternate reality to Jake, Roland's adopted son.  This story has him following the (Yellow Brick Road) Western Road, rather than the Beam.  And there's a tower somewhere in there, too.

I read it 20 years or so ago, but the familiarity of the story is because of the Gunslinger, not because I remember anything except that it was dark and I liked it.

2 comments:

Joe D G said...

yes, exactly, it's all relative, right> I used to say - if you *think* you;re doing Zen, then you aren't.

"When I'm having a dream, the only time I really know it's a dream is when I'm starting to wake up."

When I trip I usually don't know I was "peaking" until I start to come down.
What is that that registers the difference?

Kitty said...

Is the red cell aware of the lymph? Do the hands know if the eyes are open or closed? Does a sound wave recognize light?